We love what we do - and it shows! Time Out Market is the division of Time Out that brings our food and cultural experiences to life for our guests, readers and clients.
Our Market Managers take the lead in ensuring that the best of the city under one roof provides each of our guests and team members with a memorable experience with each visit.
● Maintain the highest standards of food and beverage quality, guest service, cost control and consistency in accordance with company’s expectations, while maintaining compliance with city, state and federal laws.
● Focus on succession management, training and, development of all Market employees within the back of house
● Enforce existing policies consistently and work harmoniously with other members of management to ensure the overall smooth running of the back of house so as to support the smooth running of the entire market.
● Assist and participate in the hiring, training, supervision management, coaching, counselling and evaluation of all members of the market team.
● Work closely with all levels of Management, Public Relations and Marketing and Events teams on plans that result in optimum recognition and maximize the number of covers for the Market
● Protect and enhance the value of all Market assets through appropriate programs in maintenance, security, housekeeping and through the capital budgeting process alongside the needs of the market at any given time.
● Process the weekly schedule and payroll for the hourly staff for approval by the AGM.
● Conduct pre-shift back of house meetings and assist team members with any inquiries related to the market.
● Ensure all daily policies and standard operating procedures are conducted and complete.
● Ensure all aspects of the back of house as well as back of house storage areas are kept in such a way that would pass health and safety audits.
● Create an optimal market par level based on peak and or off peak trading thus ensuring the market has zero “out of stock”items, without over-ordering
● Ensure all products received by TOM are thoroughly checked and inspected for theft, short-delivery, damage etc and action the remedy immediately.
● Ensure all orders are placed on time and captured correctly onto the inventory system.
● Ensure daily, weekly and monthly stock takes are conducted switfty and accurately as well as investigating all variances and taking the appropriate action where necessary.
● Assign and instruct the employees in details of their work. Observe performance and encourage improvement where necessary. Ensure that the performance appraisal tools are being utilized consistently and effectively.
● Operate with an open-door policy, listen to and understand requests of the team, respond with appropriate actions and provide accurate information
● Ensure proper inventory levels are maintained for facilitating proper restaurant operations, establish and enforce strict inventory controls, and participate in monthly inventory reconciliations in conjunction with the purchasing and finance teams
● Based on previous experience and good judgment, revise, review and seek approval on procedures as needed to accommodate unusual situations
● Interact with all department personnel, Market and vendor staff as needed
● Ensure inventory levels are maintained for facilitating proper restaurant operations, enforce strict inventory controls, and participate in monthly inventory reconciliations in conjunction with the Purchasing and Finance team
● Ensure that no members of staff are permitted to work if they are not suitably dressed or groomed
● Align and develop cost-saving and profit-enhancement measures
● Maintain positive and professional relations with vendors. Manage interaction of vendors on the property with our staff.
● Create action plans for any areas that need improvement or are in a critical situation
● Maximize restaurant profitability; monitor the use of controls to ensure they remain effective
● Monitor labour costs and monitor the restaurant’s budget to ensure efficient operations, including achieving budgeted revenue and labour expenses are being met
● Monitor guest satisfaction on all levels within the market space and take appropriate action to ensure all guests are satisfied and will return
● Ensure health, safety and sanitation requirements are in compliance with the Department of Health, OSHA and any city or state agencies.
● Participate in the development of the annual budget for the entire restaurant; develop short and long-term financial operating plans
● Participate in community events and ensure corporate social responsibility goals of the venue are met
● Maintain a professional, neat and well-groomed appearance adhering to Company standards
● Open and/or close the Market daily as scheduled following established standards and guidelines.
● Conduct daily cash handling procedures and ensure all cashups balance in accordance with company standards.
● Maintain confidentiality.
● Assist Management as needed in any other task necessary to ensure successful operations of the Market.
● Engage with guests at the Market to ensure guest satisfaction.
● Main focus on day-to-day operations, guest engagement, and staff supervision
Key responsibilities will be noted as above but not limited to and may change as per the needs of the market without notice and only where applicable to the core function of a TOM Manager.
Skills and Experience
● Minimum of two to three years of restaurant operations experience preferably at a senior level or above.
● Expert knowledge of restaurant operations including food, beverage, service techniques, and guest interaction
● Proficient in Windows Microsoft Office, Mac OSX, POS system
● Strong problem-solving skills
● Ability to lead by example and act in a professional manner always
● Ability to communicate effectively and assertively, both verbally and in writing with staff, clients, and the public
● Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
● Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals
● Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude always; as well as, keep an open and objective view
● Ability to listen empathetically and be respectful always
● Ability to maintain personal integrity, composure and stay focused
● Ability to work as a team, stay organized, handle various projects at one time, follow up and make accurate decisions
● Ability to handle a fast-paced, busy, and somewhat stressful environment
● Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
● Must be able to push and lift up to 30kg or more
What we look for in a candidate
Time Out is a company filled with individuals as diverse as the cities we live in and cover. At the same time there are common characteristics and values we all share. To join our team, you’ll want to…
Be commercially astute
Either have experience at or want to dive headfirst into a fast-paced transformative company in pursuit of excellence
Have excellent communication and relationship building skills
Have a high sense of ownership, urgency and drive
Be a team player
About our culture
At Time Out Group we believe in diversity and equal opportunity for all people. We do not discriminate against external or internal candidates on the basis of age; disability; gender, gender reassignment; race; religion or belief; sexual orientation; marriage and civil partnership; pregnancy and maternity. We believe that diversity develops creativity and enables personal and professional growth where we all learn from each other. We believe in an open culture where ideas are shared candidly and where there is no fear of failure, but rather an understanding that we must experiment and have the freedom to succeed. We believe that everyone has the right to express themselves as they are as this enriches us all. We believe in an open world, social justice, and the pursuit of happiness, after all, we are in the happiness business.
About Time Out Group plc
Time Out Group is a global media and hospitality business that inspires and enables people to explore and enjoy the best of the city.
It all began in London in 1968 when Time Out helped people discover the exciting new urban cultures that had started up all over the capital. Since then, this iconic brand has consistently maintained its status as the go-to source of inspiration for both locals and visitors alike.
Time Out Group has been named one of the Most Innovative Companies for 2020 by Fast Company - this prestigious annual list honours the businesses making the most profound impact on both industry and culture, showcasing a variety of ways to thrive in today’s fast-changing world. The Group comprises two highly synergistic business divisions: Time Out Media and Time Out Market.
Time Out Media’s digital and physical media proposition comprises websites, mobile, social media, print and live events. Across these platforms, Time Out distributes its high-quality content – written and curated by local expert journalists – around the best food, drinks, culture, art, music, theatre, travel and entertainment in 328 cities and 58 countries. The Company is monetising this global reach and its strong traffic from a desirable audience via digital and print advertising as well as e-commerce. Since its launch 50 years ago, Time Out has become a global brand that advertisers and consumers love and trust.
Time Out Market is a food and cultural market leveraging the Time Out brand to bring the best of the city under one roof: its best chefs, drinks and cultural experiences – based on the editorial curation Time Out has always been known for. The world’s first food and cultural market experience based wholly on editorial curation, Time Out Market captures decades of local knowledge, independent reviews and expert opinions. Everything that is being offered in Time Out Market must have been reviewed with four or five stars, and not one star less, by independent Time Out journalists.
The first Time Out Market opened in Lisbon in 2014 and is now Portugal’s most popular attraction with 4.1 million visitors in 2019. Following this success, four new Time Out Markets opened in North America in 2019 in New York, Boston, Montréal and Chicago, and we recently celebrated the opening of Time Out Market Dubai in April 2021. A further pipeline of other global locations includes Porto, Barcelona,Prague, Abu Dhabi, Cape Town and London.
Time Out is a dynamic, pioneering brand and so is our team. We want to work with the best and brightest talent because we work for the world’s greatest cities, the people enjoying them and the businesses in them. As a truly global team we get to collaborate with colleagues from New York to Paris, Tokyo and Sydney and beyond. It’s our integrity, passion, curiosity, creativity and openness that make us successful and a unique team.
Perk Box, giving you access to over 4000 perks and discounts 🎁
Workplace & culture
It’s your talent that makes us what we are and we want you to be the best you can be. Our aim is to make sure our workforce reflects the diversity of our audience we serve, which is why we promise to treat you with fairness and respect, whatever your age, disability status, gender, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, marriage/civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity status and family circumstances.
We believe that diversity develops creativity and enables personal and professional growth where we all learn from each other. We believe in an open culture where ideas are shared candidly and where there is no fear of failure, but rather an understanding that we must experiment and have the freedom to succeed. We believe that everyone has the right to express themselves as they are as this enriches us all.
We believe in an open world, social justice, and the pursuit of happiness, after all, we are in the happiness business.
Time Out Markets·Time Out Market Cape Town
Market Manager - Back of House
Loading application form
Already working at Time Out Group Plc?
Let’s recruit together and find your next colleague.