Market Manager - Chicago
Location: Chicago, IL
Reporting to: Assistant General Manager
Internal: Time Out Market
About the role
We love what we do – and it shows! Time Out Market is the division of Time Out that brings our food and cultural experiences to life for our guests, readers and clients.
Our Market Managers take the lead in ensuring that the best of the city under one roof provides each of our guests and team members a memorable experience with each visit.
- Maintain the highest standards of food and beverage quality, guest service, cost control and consistency in accordance with company’s expectations, while maintaining compliance with city, state and federal laws
- Focus on succession management, training and, development of all Market employees
- Delegate responsibility to the management team as needed and enforce existing policies consistently
- Oversee and participate in the hiring, training, supervision management, coaching, counseling and evaluation of all members of the Market team
- Promotes organization in industry, manufacturing and/or trade associations
- Work closely with the General Manager, Public Relations and Marketing teams on plans that result in optimum recognition and maximizing number of covers for the Market
- Protect and enhance the value of all Market assets through appropriate programs in maintenance, security, housekeeping and through the capital budgeting process alongside with the General Manager
- Process the weekly schedule and payroll for the hourly staff
- Conduct pre-shift meetings and assist team members with any inquiries
- Develop and implement operating standards, policies and procedures to be followed by the management team
- Assign and instruct the employees in details of their work. Observe performance and encourage improvement where necessary. Ensure that the performance appraisal tools are being utilized consistently and effectively
- Operate with an open-door policy, listen to and understand requests of the team, respond with appropriate actions and provide accurate information
- Ensure proper inventory levels are maintained for facilitating proper restaurant operations, establish and enforce strict inventory controls, and participate in monthly inventory reconciliations in conjunction with the purchasing and finance teams
- Make decision and take actions based on previous experience and good judgment, revising procedures as needed to accommodate unusual situations
- Interact with all department personnel, Market and vendor staff as needed
- Ensure inventory levels are maintained for facilitating proper restaurant operations, enforce strict inventory controls, and participate in monthly inventory reconciliations in conjunction with the Purchasing and Finance team
- Ensure that no members of staff are permitted to work if they are not suitably dressed or groomed
- Develop and implement cost saving and profit enhancement measures
- Maintain positive and professional relations with vendors. Manage interaction of vendors on property with our staff
- Create and execute action plans for any areas that need improvement or are in a critical situation
- Maximize restaurant profitability; monitor the use of controls to ensure they remain effective
- Monitor labor costs and monitor the restaurant’s budget to ensure efficient operations, including achieving budgeted revenue and labor expenses are being met
- Monitor guest satisfaction on all levels, including social media platforms
- Ensure health, safety and sanitation requirements are in compliance with Department of Health, OSHA and any city or state agencies and ensure all managers are aware of any changes in the law
- Participate in the development of the annual budget for the entire restaurant; develop short and long term financial operating plans
- Participate in community events and ensure corporate social responsibility goals of venue are met
- Maintain a professional, neat and well-groomed appearance adhering to Company standards
- 21+ years of age
- Possession of or the ability to possess all state required work cards
- Proof of eligibility to work in the United States
- High School Diploma required. Bachelor’s degree preferred
Working Knowledge Requirements
- Minimum of two to three (2-3) years of restaurant operations experience required
- Expert knowledge of restaurant operations including food, beverage, service techniques, and guest interaction
- Above average skill in math and algebraic equations using percentage
- Proficient in Windows Microsoft Office, Mac OSX, POS systems
- Must have strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to lead by example
- Ability to act in a professional manner always
- Ability to communicate effectively and assertively in the English language, both verbally and in writing with staff, clients, and the public
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals
- Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude always
- Ability to keep an open and objective view
- Ability to listen empathetically and be respectful always
- Ability to maintain composure and stay focused
- Ability to maintain personal integrity
- Ability to work as a team, stay organized, handle various projects at one time, follow up and make accurate decisions
- Ability to handle a fast-paced, busy, and somewhat stressful environment
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
- Must present and maintain a professional image to further the overall theme of the venue
- Must have good positive energy throughout the day
- Must be able to read the computer monitors
- Must be able to print legibly for employees, management, and guests to read
- Must be observant and quick to respond to various situations
- Must be able to move quickly through work and set the pace in the office and/or venue
- Must be able to sit and/or stand for extended periods of time
- Must be dexterous and able to participate in all service aspects.
- Must be able to twist, tow (push or pull), reach, bend, climb and carry as necessary
- Must be able to push and lift up to 25 lbs
- Ability to use hands to handle, or feel objects, tools or controls
- Ability to reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl
- Ability to talk, hear, taste, and smell
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
Work Environment and Schedule
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
- Small to Medium office environment
- Personal desk space
- Restaurant environment
- 5-25% Local Travel
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Occasionally work in an environment that is subject to varying levels of noise and crowds the severity of which depends upon Guest volume
- Work varied shifts to include days, nights, weekends and holidays
About Time Out
What we look for in a candidate
Time Out is a company filled with individuals as diverse as the cities we live in and cover. At the same time there are common characteristics and values we all share. To join our team, you’ll want to…
- Be commercially astute
- Either have experience at or want to dive headfirst into a fast-paced transformative company in pursuit of excellence
- Think globally
- Have excellent communication and relationship building skills
- Have a high sense of ownership, urgency and drive
- Be a team player
About our culture
At Time Out Group we believe in diversity and equal opportunity for all people. We do not discriminate against external or internal candidates on the basis of age; disability; gender, gender reassignment; race; religion or belief; sexual orientation; marriage and civil partnership; pregnancy and maternity. We believe that diversity develops creativity and enables personal and professional growth where we all learn from each other. We believe in an open culture where ideas are shared candidly and where there is no fear of failure, but rather an understanding that we must experiment and have the freedom to succeed. We believe that everyone has the right to express themselves as they are as this enriches us all. We believe in an open world, social justice, and the pursuit of happiness, after all, we are in the happiness business.
About Time Out Group plc
Time Out Group is a global media and hospitality business that inspires connection and joy by capturing the soul of the world’s greatest cities through its two divisions – Time Out Media and Time Out Market.
Time Out launched in London in 1968 with a magazine to help people discover the exciting new urban cultures that had started up all over the city. Today, Time Out’s professional journalists curate the best things to do, see and eat in 333 cities in 59 countries.
Time Out Market is the world’s first editorially curated food and cultural market, bringing a city’s best chefs, restaurateurs and unique cultural experiences together under one roof. From cooking classes with top chefs to installations from local artists and live entertainment, Time Out Market captures the soul of the city.
The first Time Out Market opened in 2014 in a historic market hall in Lisbon, quickly turning into the most popular destination in the city with 4.1m locals and tourists visiting in 2019. The success of Lisbon brought further expansion in North America, with Time Out Market opening in five major cities in 2019: Miami, New York, Boston, Chicago and Montreal. In 2021, Time Out Market expanded into the Middle East with Time Out Market Dubai, and more Time Out Market locations are in the pipeline including Porto, London, Prague, Japan and more.
Time Out Group was named International Brand of the Year 2021 in the Campaign Publishing Awards – awarding bravery, editorial innovation and forward thinking. While Time Out Market won the Most Innovative Food & Beverage Concept Award at the Global RLI (Retail & Leisure International) Awards 2021
- Time Out Markets
- Time Out Market Chicago
Time Out Market Chicago
Competitive holiday / PTO allowance 🏖
Pension / 401K 👍
Complimentary tickets to events and shows 🎟
Staff socials & happy hours 🍕
Employee Assistance programmes ❤
Cycle to work schemes 🚲
Perk Box, giving you access to over 4000 perks and discounts 🎁
Workplace & culture
It’s your talent that makes us what we are and we want you to be the best you can be. Our aim is to make sure our workforce reflects the diversity of our audience we serve, which is why we promise to treat you with fairness and respect, whatever your age, disability status, gender, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, marriage/civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity status and family circumstances.
We believe that diversity develops creativity and enables personal and professional growth where we all learn from each other. We believe in an open culture where ideas are shared candidly and where there is no fear of failure, but rather an understanding that we must experiment and have the freedom to succeed. We believe that everyone has the right to express themselves as they are as this enriches us all.
We believe in an open world, social justice, and the pursuit of happiness, after all, we are in the happiness business.
Market Manager - Chicago
Loading application form
Already working at Time Out Group Plc?
Let’s recruit together and find your next colleague.