Title: Editor, Singapore
Reporting to: Regional Content Director, APAC
About the role:
The Editor is required to manage and oversee editorial and commercial content produced on Time Out Singapore’s digital, social platform and print platforms. This includes reviewing all content produced, such as articles, videos and photographs, working closely with the Managing Director and the Regional Commercial Director to develop content strategies and to represent the Time Out brand at social/industry events throughout the year. The Editor may also be required to assist with the content strategy and commissioning of freelancers for Time Out Kuala Lumpur, Penang and future sites in Malaysia.
Time Out Singapore is looking for an exceptional candidate with strong business acumen, excellent writing and proofreading skills, networking and interpersonal skills, and the ability to guide and manage the existing content team towards achieving their business goals.
- Working with local and global leadership, creates and implements a local content plan that rapidly develops the brand, audience and content in Singapore.
- Reviews content, articles, videos, photographs for accuracy and appropriateness, providing suggestions where necessary to improve them.
Setting editorial standards
- Ensures all local content meets the global editorial guidelines.
- Ensures local content is accurate, legal, on-brand, and excellent.
Managing the departmental budget
- Manages the editorial costs of Time Out Singapore, from full time salaries to freelancers. This includes finding new and innovative ways to utilize budgets to gain a wider readership and drawing up budget proposals and new initiatives alongside the Managing Director. The Editor will be required to maintain and share a financial tracker of editorial costs spent versus budgeted costs.
- Responsible for recruiting, training, mentoring and managing staff on the editorial team. The Editor works closely with these team members to develop editorial plans for all platforms, be it daily for digital, quarterly for print specials, as well as when needed for video and social.
- Builds and maintains a roster of grade A freelancers for own brand editorial work as well as for commercial projects.
- Monitors the workload of the content team to ensure an equitable distribution of content across key and high performing sections.
- Ensures that the team understands the need to balance fast turnaround with thorough and accurate reviews/features/news blogs/listicles and will work with staff to achieve those objectives.
- Works with the Managing Director, Regional Commercial Director and Creative Director to identify and implement efficiencies in hitting deadlines and reducing the time taken to close print products, be they own brand or custom publishing projects.
- Regularly benchmarks against competitors to ensure that Time Out Singapore has a competitive advantage, working with the editorial team to initiate new features, ideas, content series, trending topics/interviews are conducted and executed in a timely fashion.
Audience retention and acquisition
- Working with the global EiC and audience development team, implement plan to increase Time Out’s reader base across all platforms.
- Use analytics and data for social platforms and digital publishing to review audience development locally; make data-driven decisions.
- Regularly review and analyse market trends.
- Support the Managing Director and Regional Commercial Director to improve and maximise print distribution reach and engagement, where necessary.
- Grow audience and engagement via content distributed effectively through SEO and social channels and email.
- Develop new content types including video to keep Time Out Singapore ahead of the curve.
- Ideate with and for the commercial team to support branded content pitches.
- Oversee projected timeline/schedules including deliverables and deadlines.
- Work with the Managing Director to review commercial workflow and processes to ensure
maximum efficiency and effectiveness on a regular basis.
Representing Time Out
- Act as the brand ambassador and public voice at social and industry events, and should proactively pitch for public speaking opportunities at conferences and seminars to further increase brand and authoritative credibility within the media, entertainment and lifestyle segments.
- Be the face of the content team at inter-company meetings and video conferences.
- Work with events leads to ensure Time Out events are on brand and in Time Out’s tone of voice.
- Host Time Out events where relevant as the editorial brand ambassador of Time Out Singapore.
- A passion for and excellent knowledge of Singapore’s exciting lifestyle and cultural scene
- Extensive professional consumer content experience, with a strong reporting and
team management background, especially in a decision-making capacity
- Must be Singaporean, SPR or hold a valid Employment Pass.
- Excellent grasp and understanding of SEO, web analytics and social media best practices
- Experience in managing a team of editors and managing upwards and sideways
- Energetic and committed
- Excels in interpersonal communications
- Effective and positive communicator
- Ability to create and communicate vision
- Strong time-management skills
- Strong leader, good sense of teamwork
- Ability to work effectively with diverse viewpoints and approaches
- Effectively delegates responsibility
- Respects confidential information
- Cooperative and open-minded
- Effectively resolves misunderstandings
- Promptly and effectively follows through
- Explores and embraces innovative technologies
- Effective team player and leader with Time Out staff, colleagues and commercial partners
- Must be educated to degree level or equivalent industry qualification
About Time Out
What we look for in a candidate
Time Out is a company filled with individuals as diverse as the cities we live in and cover. At the same time there are common characteristics and values we all share. To join our team, you’ll want to…
- Be commercially astute
- Either have experience at or want to dive headfirst into a fast-paced transformative company in pursuit of excellence
- Think globally
- Have excellent communication and relationship building skills
- Have a high sense of ownership, urgency and drive
- Be a team player
About our culture
At Time Out Group we believe in diversity and equal opportunity for all people. We do not discriminate against external or internal candidates on the basis of age; disability; gender, gender reassignment; race; religion or belief; sexual orientation; marriage and civil partnership; pregnancy and maternity. We believe that diversity develops creativity and enables personal and professional growth where we all learn from each other. We believe in an open culture where ideas are shared candidly and where there is no fear of failure, but rather an understanding that we must experiment and have the freedom to succeed. We believe that everyone has the right to express themselves as they are as this enriches us all. We believe in an open world, social justice, and the pursuit of happiness, after all, we are in the happiness business.
About Time Out Group plc
Time Out Group is a global media and hospitality business that inspires connection and joy by capturing the soul of the world’s greatest cities through its two divisions – Time Out Media and Time Out Market.
Time Out launched in London in 1968 with a magazine to help people discover the exciting new urban cultures that had started up all over the city. Today, Time Out’s professional journalists curate the best things to do, see and eat in 333 cities in 59 countries.
Time Out Market is the world’s first editorially curated food and cultural market, bringing a city’s best chefs, restaurateurs and unique cultural experiences together under one roof. From cooking classes with top chefs to installations from local artists and live entertainment, Time Out Market captures the soul of the city.
The first Time Out Market opened in 2014 in a historic market hall in Lisbon, quickly turning into the most popular destination in the city with 4.1m locals and tourists visiting in 2019. The success of Lisbon brought further expansion in North America, with Time Out Market opening in five major cities in 2019: Miami, New York, Boston, Chicago and Montreal. In 2021, Time Out Market expanded into the Middle East with Time Out Market Dubai, and more Time Out Market locations are in the pipeline including Porto, London, Prague, Japan and more.
Time Out Group was named International Brand of the Year 2021 in the Campaign Publishing Awards – awarding bravery, editorial innovation and forward thinking. While Time Out Market won the Most Innovative Food & Beverage Concept Award at the Global RLI (Retail & Leisure International) Awards 2021
- Time Out Singapore
- Yearly salary
- Employment type
Time Out Singapore
Competitive holiday / PTO allowance 🏖
Pension / 401K 👍
Complimentary tickets to events and shows 🎟
Staff socials & happy hours 🍕
Employee Assistance programmes ❤
Cycle to work schemes 🚲
Perk Box, giving you access to over 4000 perks and discounts 🎁
Workplace & culture
It’s your talent that makes us what we are and we want you to be the best you can be. Our aim is to make sure our workforce reflects the diversity of our audience we serve, which is why we promise to treat you with fairness and respect, whatever your age, disability status, gender, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, marriage/civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity status and family circumstances.
We believe that diversity develops creativity and enables personal and professional growth where we all learn from each other. We believe in an open culture where ideas are shared candidly and where there is no fear of failure, but rather an understanding that we must experiment and have the freedom to succeed. We believe that everyone has the right to express themselves as they are as this enriches us all.
We believe in an open world, social justice, and the pursuit of happiness, after all, we are in the happiness business.
Loading application form
Already working at Time Out Group Plc?
Let’s recruit together and find your next colleague.